Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Is hoarding a Sin?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cleo574
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)
cleo574

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 am

It seems I have become a hoarder accidentally because I cannot stand to throw anything still good in the trash. I think that relates back to childhood because I grew up so very poor and destitute. People offer to give me things or they are going to throw them away so I take them because I keep thinking someone could use these. Or I am wanting one thing at an auction but they put it with a bunch of other stuff and so I get more stuff than I want.

I was walking through the house and looking around, discovered I had become one of the dreaded hoarders. I don't mind giving things away or selling them cheap, but it seems I can do neither with some items. Can't seem to find anyone who wants them free or cheap and can't stand to throw it away because it is really good stuff.

So my question is am I sinning by keeping the stuff and not throwing it away? Or suggestions on how to get it gone.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:03 am

Miss Cleo, I often see free items posted on craig's list in fact they have a category for it.
It could be a tremendous blessing for someone who can not afford to buy something you're willing to give for free. I'll give you a perfect example.
At Jody's job a woman mentioned that her grandaughter had just made the woman's basketball team. She asked for help in getting a new or used outdoor basketball outfit base,pole,backboard and hoop. Her husband had been laid off for months and they were struggling financially. Jody came home and mentioned it and we looked on craig's list to see if we could buy a used outfit cheap because we are kinda' tight financially too but we wanted to answer this loving grandmother's desperate plea. No luck...nada...we kept checking the postings and had given up. Then we tried one more time after about an hour had passed and lo and behold if someone hadn't posted one absolutely free! It was first come first serve and someone else had already expressed an interest in it. It was about an hour away to his house, we got there in about 22 minutes, we got there first...told the man the story, Blessed him for his generosity, he was moved to tears. His son was going off to college and it was just taking too much room in his garage. You should have seen the look on Jody's co-worker's face (Barb) when she pulled up to work with the whole kit and kaboodle sticking out of the back of our pick up truck. They have become the closest of friends since, the husband started his own business and Jody has been helping them with accounting, advertising (graphics) and was offered a full time job as manager for his fast growing business (Jody has not accepted a penny from them thus far).
God Bless,
hope this was helpful to you.
Back to top Go down
cleo574
cleo574

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 6:14 am

Thank you Oneagleswings. I had not thought of Craig's list although I often use it for things I really need. I appreciate the thoughtfulness. You tell Jody she is a WOMAN amoung women.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 6:29 am

You're welcome Miss Cleo, Jody is indeed a most unique WOMAN among women and this MAN is very humbled and grateful to the Lord for bringing us together.

God Bless.
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm

That's an awesome story oneagleswings and a great suggestion for giving away stuff to those who may really need it. One can always donate to their local second-hand store or church too.

As for the question, "is this a sin?" That's a tough one. The Bible speaks of putting too much value on things of this world rather harshly. However, from your description, I'm not sure how to qualify your particular problem. If it really is a problem.

Hoarding can be a very serious, debilitating disorder that hurts the hoarder and those who love him/her. If your accumulation of things is starting to cause your living conditions to become uncomfortable and/or a fire hazard, you may have a problem. Then I would suggest speaking to your loved ones and/or your pastor. The fact that you recognize and are concerned that there may be a problem, shows that this thing may not be all that problematic. Genuine Hoarders are usually very reluctant to admit there is a problem and they tend to have a really tough time giving away their things.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
Sponsored content

Is hoarding a Sin? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is hoarding a Sin?   Is hoarding a Sin? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is hoarding a Sin?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION FORUM :: Theological Discussion-