Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

The Dash to Know Him

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
doncece43
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
doncece43

The Dash to Know Him Empty
PostSubject: The Dash to Know Him   The Dash to Know Him EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 am

My wife and I like to take leisure walks in Oregon’s countryside cemeteries; we’re interested in the dates of the old worn tombstones. We look at the tombstones and wonder about the lives and stories of the people whose lifetimes are simply marked by their name, dates of birth and death. Our walks through the cemetery are reminders of how brief our time on earth is. It brings the realization that life is really defined by the dash between the two dates. This particular walk brought to mind a book I had recently read “How big is your God, “by Fr. Paul Coutinho. The author poses a question to the reader. Are you ready, do you know me?” I wondered about those who were buried in our cemeteries and how many of them could answered with a positive, yes, I was ready I knew you. Am I ready, do I know Him? Are you ready, do you know Him? This is an important question we need to ask ourselves. In Fr. Coutinho’s book “How big is your God” he gives a list of questions God will not be asking. When the Lord comes, he will not ask you whether you were in church today or not. When the Lord comes, he will not ask you whether you are a good Christian. He will not ask you about the great and admirable things you did in life. When the Lord comes, he will ask this simple question, do you know me. Many of us will say sure I know you, I go to church every Sunday and do many good works, my accomplishments are many. Of course I am ready, I know you Jesus. Many will point to there good works as proof of their relationship with Jesus. In the Bible Jesus said some will say they prophesied in his name, have driven out demons and even performed many miracles all in his name. Jesus response will be, do you know me? He said the Gospel is the good news to the poor, if it isn’t good news to the poor, then it stops being the Gospel. Are you reaching out to the poor, are you becoming a friend to the poor, are you serving the poor or are they serving you? Do you see Jesus in the poor; do the poor see Jesus in you? Jesus said, if you are showing love and compassion for the least of my brethren providing food, clothing, shelter, hope, showing love for family, friends and strangers. If the answer is yes to all the above, then yes, you know me and I know you. You may say there is more to life than just serving others and you will be right. But, is this going to be our defense on that day? The dash on the tombstone is very short and reveals how fast and fleeting our time on earth is. Life is a gift from God, don’t waste your gift, your gift is meant to be shared with those in need of love and compassion. Only those who knew you can tell your life story the dash represents between your dates. There are no comebacks or do-over, now is your time, and are you ready, do you know Him?

Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: The Dash to Know Him   The Dash to Know Him EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:00 am

A very sweet yet stern message. We are often caught up in life, lose focus, and forget just how short that dash really is. Many people are in a dash for the cash, or the next big promotion. Perhaps more of us should slow down and take a stroll in a grave yard. It's a stark reminder of the really important things in life. You've created a great message doncece43!
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: The Dash to Know Him   The Dash to Know Him EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Dashing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dash to Know Him   The Dash to Know Him Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dash to Know Him
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-