Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

My publishing adventure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LaurelTree
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
LaurelTree

My publishing adventure Empty
PostSubject: My publishing adventure   My publishing adventure EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:56 am

It is unusual to get have your first manuscript accepted before you even finish it. Although, I would have to claim that it was actually my second manuscript. The first story was one I have yet to finish.

It's a nice, little story, but my characters were too flat, so it seemed to me. I did send it in for the Genesis contest and was roasted over the flames, but not for character development. "Just because you mention a Christian retreat doesn't make this a Christian book". That was hurtful, considering the MC was a woman whose faith in the Lord was strong. "A digital camera does not make barking sounds, it makes a clicking sound". Um...my camera has settings where it barks, chirps, trills, or clicks. Then there were more hurtful statements, but nothing about the mechanics of the story. I almost stopped writing, and when these results came in, I was a quarter way through my second novel. It can be almost devastating when you enter a contest and will be judged by your peers according to your genre. I submitted a contemporary fiction piece and was judged by a romance, suspense romance, and YA fiction writers/agents.

I had friends who cheered me up, helped me overcome the upset of such harsh criticism. I put that novel away and returned back to my Mississippi Nights. This was a story I thought of long ago when I was 14. I resurrected the dead brother, changed the name and profession of the sister's husband, changed the firefighter's girlfriend, and so on. Soon the story took life.

I had already attended the ACFW conference in Indianapolis in 2010. Met many wonderful people and made many connections. Through the ACFW loop, I met some fellow writers nearby and one suggested BRCWC (Blue Ridge conference in North Carolina). I went in May. It is an amazing journey that led me to my publishers.

I saw their photos in the conference booklet and wanted to meet them. They arrived late, and I figured they were not showing so chose other agents/publishers to meet instead. While in line for lunch the next day, I turned around and there stood the CEO of that publishing house. So I did the one thing that was totally so-not-me. I greeted him. We started chatting. I sat at his table. He invited me to dine with him that night. Chatted the next day. He had to leave and invited me to e-mail him when my story was done. I finished the novel in under three weeks after the conference.

When I e-mailed the manuscript to him, he wrote back and said he wanted it, but there needed to be some changes so that it can be sold in both markets. I made those slight changes, so mild that it didn't change the story one bit. I signed the agreement. Editor made some changes, found a scene I had forgotten to insert, and now my book will be on the market in January. E-book formats are already on sell. My author copies arrive tomorrow. And I am working on the next book.

It's a job, no longer a hobby. Hard work, but the one difference is that I listened to God and followed where He led me, no questions asked. Oh, yeah, I was scared, I was worried, I bit my nails off, but I allowed God Room. I did what was humanly possible for me and left everything else to God.
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

My publishing adventure Empty
PostSubject: Re: My publishing adventure   My publishing adventure EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Hello LaurelTree,
Welcome to Christian Creative Writers. What an awesome story. It is an inspiration for other struggling Christian writers. Thank you for sharing it. I look forward to reading some of your work and getting to know you.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com

My publishing adventure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1