Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? Empty
PostSubject: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 am

Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?

I have a few thoughts on this, but thought I would get a take on what you guys think about it first.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am

no, if they are not against us, then they are with us, a positive message is by no means against.
Back to top Go down
worshipfreely
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)
worshipfreely

POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:35 am

Secular music is very tricky I think. For the most part I agree with my boy 'eagleswings, but you need to be careful. Positive messages can be deceptive, they can hide reverence for things not of God which is idoltry. And the flip side is if they aren't with us then they are against us. Ask yerself how the music makes you feel, what thoughts are conjured up as you listen does it lead you to glorifying God? If so I would say it's ok. It's all about yer motivation to listen. Does listening cause you to sin on any level? Ultimately the Spirit will convict you if it is leading you down the wrong path. A lot of gangsta rappers talk about God and church and then glorify sin, wolves among sheep and junk. There is an alternative to every kind of secular music in the Christian genre. Just some things to think about.
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

Those are my feelings exactly freely. It can be deceptive, and it is necessary to use discernment in this area.
Back to top Go down
worshipfreely
worshipfreely

POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 11:46 am

Great minds think alike? Well we are only as smart as HE lets us be anyway.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyFri Jan 12, 2018 11:06 am

I think "discernment" is the crucial key here.
I think of some of this "secular" music along the lines of "good Samaritan" music.
Consider The Good Samaritan for a moment who was a pagan and not versed in Mosaic law but yet knew to do the right thing...even moreso than those who were charged with keeping the law. God is Sovereign and can use anyone from any walk of life in any way He wills. So if a song or lyric or melody moves me in a way that sparks my spirituality, creativity, or inspires in any way positive...who's to judge? It is like setting limits on what God is able to do? Can you picture Jesus with headphones on swaying to George Harrison's "here comes the sun"...i can with a broad smile on my face! Although it could be argued that a more appropriate title might be "Here comes The Son:) ? But why nit-pic? Just enjoy something creative artistic and beautiful!

If the discernment is not there how would you tell secular from non-secular? How many Christians do you know, have met and interacted with, that you knew for a fact were not true Christians, yet say that they are, not for us to pull the masks' off but it will happen eventually? A wonderful message board I once read as I was driving by a church said: "satan is pulling the trigger but God is calling every shot!" Not too concerned about loud noisy Hollywood "blanks" fired but the impact of the actual real shots fired and shed blood! It's very easy to follow the wrong scent and veer from the right path...they won't be labelled non-secular this-a-way...secular that-a-way.
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 am

Maybe a better question would be, what should we say, if anything, to a fellow brother/sister in Christ who is listening to secular music that we feel is not good?
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am

Example of "secular" music i love. Lyrics are brilliant and meaningful!

Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:49 am

It's difficult to tell what the lyrics are, but I can see why you love that song. It appears we have similar tastes in music.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 11:54 am

Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 7:14 pm

I could almost believe you wrote that song!
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm

You got me thinking of art forms, as Christians do we only go to non-secular exhibits? Ever heard of such a thing? Artistic expression should not be hindered or suppressed in any way, we can choose wisely:)
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 8:28 pm

I think it’s a matter of plain old fashioned common sense. Is it fairly benign or is it full of violence, indecency, satanic images, etc.? Then pass it up. We’re supposed to guard our hearts, and this falls under that direction in the scriptures, I think. blush

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? EmptyThu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message?   Is It Wrong for a Christian to Listen to secular music that has a positive message? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1