Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

What is LOVE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

What is LOVE Empty
PostSubject: What is LOVE   What is LOVE EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:47 pm

What is LOVE

We all know that there are many meanings for love, but what is true love? I mean the Love that we learn of in the Bible? If we look at the very first sentence of 1 Corinthians 13:4 it states that “Love is patient, love is kind.” This is a loaded statement. If you really think about it, it’s a tough act to follow. How many people can say that we are faithful to just these two aspects of love, not to mention the rest of the passage about love in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: “It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

Anyhow, to keep from writing a book instead of a short article, let’s just keep to the first two aspects of love as stated in 1 Corinthians 13:4: “Love is patient, love is kind.” I found the following article on the online parallel Bible at this LINK that I think sheds light on these two aspects of love that we as believers should do our best to adhere to and serves as a great reminder of how we should try to conduct ourselves. I know I am guilty of not always fulfilling these requirements of love:

Charity suffereth long - Paul now proceeds to illustrate the "nature" of love, or to show how it is exemplified. His illustrations are all drawn from its effect in regulating our conduct toward others, or our contact with them. The "reason" why he made use of this illustration, rather than its nature as evinced toward "God," was, probably, because it was especially necessary for them to understand in what way it should be manifested toward each other. There were contentions and strifes among them; there were of course suspicions, and jealousies, and heart-burnings; there would be unkind judging, the imputation of improper motives, and selfishness; there were envy, and pride, and boasting, all of which were inconsistent with love; and Paul therefore evidently designed to correct these evils, and to produce a different state of things by showing them what would be produced by the exercise of love. The word used here μακροθυμεῖ makrothumei denotes "longanimity," slowness to anger or passion; longsuffering, patient endurance, forbearance. It is opposed to haste; to passionate expressions and thoughts, and to irritability. It denotes the state of mind which can bear long when oppressed, provoked, calumniated, and when one seeks to injure us; compare Romans 2:4; Romans 9:22; 2 Corinthians 6:6; Galatians 5:22; Ephesians 4:2; Colossians 3:12; 1 Timothy 1:16; 2 Timothy 3:10; 2 Timothy 4:2; 1 Peter 3:20; 2 Peter 3:15.

And is kind - The word used here denotes to be good-natured, gentle, tender, affectionate. Love is benignant. It wishes well. It is not harsh, sour, morose, ill-natured. Tyndale renders it, "is courteous." The idea is, that under all provocations and ill-usage it is gentle and mild. "Hatred" prompts to harshness, severity, unkindness of expression, anger, and a desire of revenge. But love is the reverse of all these. A man who truly loves another will be kind to him, desirous of doing him good; will be "gentle," not severe and harsh; will be "courteous" because he desires his happiness, and would not pain his feelings.

Pretty great article, huh? I appreciate a Bible study that states the facts and doesn’t tip-toe around the bush. We, as believers, are to hope and expect the best of other people’s motives. Jumping to conclusions about others leads to foot in mouth disease. We are to be “longsuffering” or “patient” with others and treat them with courtesy and kindness even before we know anything about them. It’s simple and to the point. As I continue to walk in my faith, I will be holding on to these truths closely, as I know that it is what the Father would have me do.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
worshipfreely
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)
WRITERS’ MENTOR (500 + posts)
worshipfreely

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

What is LOVE Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is LOVE   What is LOVE EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Great points, one and all. The only thing I would refute is this:A man who truly loves another will be kind to him, desirous of doing him good; will be "gentle," not severe and harsh; will be "courteous" because he desires his happiness, and would not pain his feelings. . You may still love someone and not be loving. The negative junk we bring comes from the sinful part of us that isn't love, true, but it doesn't mean we don't love, it means we are not being loving. At least that's what I think. Thank you for posting this it is soooooooo important.
Back to top Go down
JoeT
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
JoeT

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER

What is LOVE Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is LOVE   What is LOVE EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 8:43 pm

great posting Lora
We had a massage today on marriage and this certainly fits in.
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

What is LOVE Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is LOVE   What is LOVE EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Thanks, Joe. And, yes, I agree. Love isn't just a feeling we may have about another, it's something that we do. It's more often a verb rather than a noun, and conducting ourselves according to how the Bible says we should show love isn't always very easy, especially in a marriage where one must interact with one another so closely and so often.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
Sponsored content

What is LOVE Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is LOVE   What is LOVE Empty

Back to top Go down

What is LOVE
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-