Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Taster’s Choice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

Taster’s Choice Empty
PostSubject: Taster’s Choice   Taster’s Choice EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 am

You are not to be surprised or discouraged because you find the flesh opposing you in your fellowship with the Lord.  The more you minister and cater to the flesh*, the more will it intrude when you do not want it, or rather when you do not wish to be disturbed by it, and when you consider it an intruder.  If you would be free from the flesh when praying, etc., you must be careful not to encourage it at other times.

People often think that they can do with the flesh what they can do with their clothes, that is, wear them and change them when they like; they think they can give their minds and thoughts to the things that please and gratify the flesh, and then in a few moments get rid of it, as one would a dress, and put on quite a different one, to come into the presence of the Lord.  The flesh once encouraged, once allowed to be about you as a dress, it is not so easily put off, even though you may most truly desire to be fit for the presence of the Lord, and to be happy there.

This is in principle making the best of both worlds, and it cannot be.  It must be either the Lord Jesus who died for men, or the man by whom He was crucified.  It is when you desire to enjoy the presence of the Lord that you first discover that you have been cultivating a hindrance to it.  Wrong man!  You have been wearing natural clothes, and pleasing yourself; and then when you seek fellowship with the Lord, all these things, which have previously engrossed you, are like a mob refusing you leave to pass the way you desire.

It is a good sign when you feel this mob, because it shows that you are not content with being absent from the Lord, but yet, on the other hand, it shows that you have been tampering with the enemy, instead of refusing all his offers, so as to be ready dressed at all times to be in the presence of the Lord.

The more and longer we are away from Him, the less we feel it, and the less we are conscious of the mob which hinders and depresses us.  The more we wear common every-day clothes, and like them, the less do we care for state robes.  We are not aware of our defects until we come in contact with that which is vastly superior.  Many a one thinks that he dresses very well until he comes to town, and then he sees how shabby he is; he did not feel his shabbiness before.

Thus it is with you; while you are happy and satisfied in your entanglements with those around us, your dress is in your own eyes nice enough; but when you would enjoy being in the presence of the Lord, you find that you have been fostering and surrounding yourself with things that will get no place there, and then you find that it is no easy matter to change your dress, and put on quite a different one.

The only way to secure constant joy in the Lord’s presence, that is, to be so dressed as to be unhindered there, is to seek His pleasure in the commonest details of our lives, not seeking anything for ourselves*, but the things that are pleasing in His sight.  “Enoch . . . before his translation . . . had this testimony, that he pleased God” (Heb 11:5).  Study to please the Lord, and thus you rebuke the tendency in your heart to please yourself, you keep off the common garments of the flesh, and you increase your taste for the dress that suits the Lord’s presence, which is simply a devoted heart.

- J B Stoney

Poster’s Opinion:
*”not seeking anything for ourselves”:  Unless the author has another meaning intended here, I would agree that we are not to seek pleasure for ourselves before that of others, by putting self last, but I do not believe it to be wrong to seek to please self (new self of course—never the old) in the proper manner and timing, for it is declared in Scripture that “God, gives us richly all things to enjoy” (1Tim 6:17). 
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Taster’s Choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taster’s Choice   Taster’s Choice EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 8:13 am

I awoke exhausted this morning after a very vivid dream. In it were many relatives who had passed on early in my childhood and some I had only seen in pictures who passed before i was even born. It was a huge Elaborate, festive Christmas celebration. I was overwhelmed by it all and just trying to take it all in but it seemed impossible. Suddenly I noticed the guests were beginning to depart and the place was in great disarray, still quite the spectacle but signs of a much needed clean-up becoming more apparent as the guests began filtering out and saying there goodbyes. I had not yet eaten only picked a bit here and there and felt this need to clean, so I started picking up and encouraging those who still remained by doing so joyfully without uttering a single word and it was very pleasing and encouraging, satisfying, after witnessing so much wanton selfishness and no conscious awareness of the many free gifts laid before us all being taken for granted others that still remained began pitching in, I only desired to express  gratitude. I had arrived late and I glimpsed my Father, from a distance I saw him in all his glory smiling laughing as I'd never really seen to this same degree when he was among us. It made me so happy I just lost all interest in the celebration itself i suddenly didn't need to understand only accept it and wanted to pitch in with the clean-up. My Father was happy and that was good enough for me...apparently i was there to serve. I shared this dream with my wife out on the back deck this morning, walked in and sat at the laptop and read this post immediately afterwords, excellent post His uncanny timing, thanks be to God!
Blessings to you and yours'!!
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

Taster’s Choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taster’s Choice   Taster’s Choice EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

Hi OEW - Appreciate sharing that.  I too have many immediate relatives (only one sister and brother remain) who have passed on, and it does affect our dreams at times, but it's nice when they are comforting instead of sad dreams.

The joy we find in serving greatly enhances our fellowship with others, esp. family and friends that are saved.

Thanks for your site labors in Christ!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taster’s Choice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taster’s Choice   Taster’s Choice Empty

Back to top Go down

Taster’s Choice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-