Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! Empty
PostSubject: How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail!   How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 pm

How to Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic Scene–Thanks to One Surprising Detail!
This week’s video contains a confession from me, slightly counter-intuitive advice on how to write a tragic scene, and an absolutely spot-on example from Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables.

Video Transcript:

[size=18]I have to start off this video with a confession. Within the last month or so, I stumbled across a fantastic quote of writing advice, which talked about one of the easiest and most important ways to kill it with an emotionally dark scene. Sadly, I can’t remember for the life of me where I saw this quote or who said it. So you’ll just have to let me paraphrase. In a nutshell, this quote suggests that the best way to create an emotionally powerful and resonant tragic scene is to focus not on the overwhelming darkness, but on one small contrasting detail.
Recently, I discovered one of the best examples I’ve ever seen of this, while reading Victor Hugo’s beloved behemoth Les Miserables. Deep in the book, in the midst of a horrific battle scene, Hugo wrote the following:
How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! Pic1-copy
So why didn’t Hugo just write, “It was horrible. There was blood everywhere. Seriously, reader, it was bad”?
Even assuming that sounds better in French than it does in English, I think you’ll agree that this on-the-nose version that spells out the darkness ain’t got nothing on Hugo’s original version. This tiny detail of beauty, this butterfly—and a white butterfly, at that—absolutely pops off the page in a stunning visual. And the really interesting result of all this is that this small spark of light and beauty only serves to emphasize the surrounding darkness.
The original quote that I can’t remember (and which I would love to know if anyone recognizes it), talked about how a smart author doesn’t need to write reams of description about, say, a family massacred in a bombing. All he needs to squeeze his readers’ hearts is the infinitesimal detail of a child’s empty shoe in the middle the street.

Tell me your opinion: What contrasting detail have you used in a recent tragic scene?

How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! How-Write-a-Gut-Wrenching-Tragic-Scene%E2%80%94Than-ks-to-One-Surprising-Detail2

[/size]
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
SwiftWarrior
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
SwiftWarrior

How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail!   How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail! EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful.
Back to top Go down

How to #Write a Gut-Wrenching Tragic #Scene –Thanks to One Surprising Detail!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1