Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Praying the Lord’s Prayer As A Discipline by Greg Gordon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greg Gordon
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
Greg Gordon

Praying the Lord’s Prayer As A Discipline by Greg Gordon Empty
PostPraying the Lord’s Prayer As A Discipline by Greg Gordon

This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. – Matthew 6:9
When I became a new believer in Jesus Christ, I spent alot of time considering prayer, it was something that I knew I could just lift up my heart to the Lord and he would hear me. But it was not long after I was deluged with books on prayer by modern authors, there were so many books on prayer it seemed that believers were failing to pray to God. I remember one time my mind was so distracted that I committed to sit cross legged on my bed and pray for 30 minutes no matter how many times my mind drifted. My words were to the Lord, please show me your love and grace, I am not moving from this spot. With similar words I praised God and waited at times in silence with my thoughts directed towards him. Within minutes a true sense of God’s presence was there with me and I was overwhelmed with tears with his love and character. I cannot say all of my prayer times have been like that, but I do believe it was a lesson to me that God is to be hallowed and to be waited upon. Many times since I have practiced conversational praying, where I have spoken to God in many circumstances of life. I do believe God hears these types of prayers also. But I cannot underline enough my experience that when I set apart a larger amount of time to still myself and truly seek him, he will be found and great blessing will ensue.
Jesus emulated this practice and went alone to a quiet place to pray (Luke 5:16). In the verse before the Lord’s prayer this is echoed in, “but when you pray, go into your room, close the door” (Matthew 6:6). The encouragement being, go to a quiet place, reverence God, spend time to really pray before him. The early Church took seriously the words of our Lord and even so would as part of their prayer times, pray the Lord’s prayer verbatim with meaning. The Didache, or titled: “The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles” was a document in A.D. 40-50 says, “And do not pray like the hypocrites, but rather as the Lord commanded in the gospel: Our Father in heaven, holy be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us enough bread day-by-day. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one. Pray this three times each day.” This early Church document encouraged believers towards the discipline of prayer in their personal lives, not as much in public prayer meetings only. This practice of praying 3 times a day was something that correlated with the hours of prayer that the Apostles practiced. I have personally prayed the Lord’s prayer multiplied thousands of times and it is still a very meaningful the prayer and the depths of the words and relevance of them speaks to me till this day. The pagans used vain repetition in prayers to think they would be heard, we know our Lord hears us when we pray our first word. The Lord’s prayer reminds us every-time we pray, that if we have any ought against our brothers and sisters that we should forgive, that God will take care of our needs, that we need to ask forgiveness daily, and to pray for protect from the works of satan.
Back to top Go down
https://gregjgordon.wordpress.com https://medium.com/@greggordon http://www.sermoncentral.com/contributors/greg-gordon-sermons-51365.asp http://greggordon.weebly.com http://gregjgordon.tumblr.com
Share this post on: reddit

Praying the Lord’s Prayer As A Discipline by Greg Gordon :: Comments

Doug Blair
Very helpful comments Friend (and fellow Canadian). Every prayer emotion, need, delight and challenge seems to have been covered in the Psalms (a Bible within a Bible). I recommend Spurgeon's Treasury of David. Open up to any page and see how your responses have been in line with the saints of earlier generations. And then there is the sitting quietly before the Lord and expecting His input and loving closeness. Press on Bro'.

Praying the Lord’s Prayer As A Discipline by Greg Gordon

Page 1 of 1