Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

New Person saying hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Robin Malcolm
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
NEW KID ON THE BLOCK (0-5 Posts)
Robin Malcolm

New Person saying hello!  Empty
PostSubject: New Person saying hello!    New Person saying hello!  EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 3:44 am

Hi all!

I'm brand new both to this particular forum, so instead of standing awkwardly in the corner, which is what I'd probably do in real life, I thought I'd take a deep breath and say hello. 

My name is Robin Malcolm. My husband and I are missionaries to children in West Africa, and we currently live in Lome, Togo. I am originally from Seattle, Washington, but have strong ties to Oregon state and most recently lived in Springfield, MO. My husband is the child of American missionaries and grew up as a "Missionary Kid"  in central and southern Africa. We have two adult children. (Wow- I'm still not used to that. Our son is 21, our daughter 18. This is new territory.) 

Among my many hats, my primary role as a missionary is to locate existing curriculum and culturally edit it for use in Africa. Since that pool is very shallow, I also develop and write original materials. Together my husband and I have written two books and a large number of curricula.

For a long time, I've known that someday I would write our story. Our first term of missions service was in Cote d'Ivoire from 2000-2002, where a cascade of trauma and tragedy beat us up, culminating in a military evacuation from a civil war. It's taken me this long to get to the point where I feel like the story is "finished" enough to tell. 

Now I'm standing on the edge of this enormous endeavor and sometimes I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff without a rope. The book is underway- currently its about 18,000 words, but I still feel like I am riddled with self-doubt most days.  I'm hoping to eventually get some honest feedback from other writers. Writing curriculum and teacher resources is a completely different skill than writing a story. 

Wow. That is way more words than I ever would have said in person to any stranger. But there you go. Hello. Glad to be here. 

Blessings!
Robin
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

New Person saying hello!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Person saying hello!    New Person saying hello!  EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 4:11 am

Life flows in circles a brief reprieve of stillness can be had in corners to regroup but eventually one must return into the current flows, eddys, swirls even whirlpools. Glad to have you here...welcome Robin!
Back to top Go down

New Person saying hello!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1