Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Heaven Seems So Far

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scottn
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
scottn

Heaven Seems So Far Empty
PostSubject: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:09 am

Heaven Seems So Far
(The loss of a child)
For Lori
By Scott Newport

We are all a bit more broken today
the emerging cracks lay open for all to see
my silent smile has escaped my abundant joy
sadness and tears tug to fill the voids
this night will surely be my new day

Love and laughter scatter
like a flock of migrating geese to distant skies
“My child is gone”
lost to the whimpering wings of time
but today is his day
when all in heaven are healed
Back to top Go down
vinedresser
WORDSMITH (251-300 posts)
vinedresser

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:19 am

Powerfull, powerfull.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:25 am

Absolutely poignant and beautiful Scott...

Love and laughter scatter
like a flock of migrating geese to distant skies
“My child is gone”

Heart-wrenching and powerful...knee buckling, collapsing in surrender to things beyond our control, all at once.

Back to top Go down
scottn
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
scottn

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyWed May 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Yea, I like the line about the geese taking flight, I can hear them in my mind clamoring away calling out the message they have repeated for centuries.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyThu May 23, 2013 1:53 am

Writing about our pain hopefully helps others in dealing with theirs, separation anxiety, sudden losses of those precious to us, Grieving into the depths of manic depression, in some cases to the point of psychosis or disguised in levity...we all cope differently. Sometimes in crowds of faces, sometimes in secluded places...I feel ya' on this one bro'...I do.
The honest Truth is...no one can do anything, no matter what you tell them or write for them...no one can get through anything on their own.
All we can do is pray for them, comfort them, minister to needs as best we can and help to guide them along to someone who can do all things and heal all pain.
We all have debts, "living" expenses, creditors and monthly bills that sometimes we can't pay on time or at all, due to circumstances beyond our control or self caused, but we always seem to get by somehow...HE is Faithful and always makes a way where there seems to be none, in all things.
1 Corinthians 10:13
"There is no trial set before you but such as is common to man and G-D is Faithful;
who along with trial also will make a means of escape,
in order that you may endure it"

A Pastor I had turned to and did not ever see again, urged me to remember this verse (emphatically), even if it would be the only verse I would ever commit to memory...and I did, along with many others eventually, hundreds of times have I read it aloud if not thousands or in silence at times of loss and for long thereafter .
Back to top Go down
vinedresser
vinedresser

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyThu May 23, 2013 2:25 pm

A beautiful and perfect ending, Scott. I love the line, " Today is his day" If all could get ahold of the concept of how personal our Lord wants to get with us. My prayers are lifting you and your friend up. Please know this. Blessings
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyThu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

sticks to one's ribs, this one does.
Back to top Go down
scottn
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
scottn

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptySat May 25, 2013 4:03 am

Read the poem again today and the first line hit me, “We are a bit more broken today.” The words remind me of we are all getting a bit older. Youth is fleeting and flight is soon to come for all of us. Recently I have learned to listen a little more, not only to the squawking geese but also to the morning’s stillness where much can be learned.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptySat May 25, 2013 4:47 am

I've been working on piece called "broken glasses", actually I really don't know what the title will be at this point. Interesting, perhaps there is more power to your opening line than meets the eye?
Back to top Go down
Lora
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Lora

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:23 am

As always, another moving, thought provoking, powerful piece, Scott. I'm a fan.
Back to top Go down
http://loraconnor.com
scottn
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
scottn

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far EmptyFri May 31, 2013 3:30 am

Thanks Lora, when I had heard my friends son had died I just had to write. I guess his death was kinda like a splintering piece of wood hanging out there ready to stick those who touched it. By writing the poem I just tried to soften the dagger a bit by sanding the sharp edges. In reality the splinter should never be ripped off leaving a void.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heaven Seems So Far   Heaven Seems So Far Empty

Back to top Go down

Heaven Seems So Far
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML: