Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Barrenness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
Doug Blair

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Barrenness Empty
PostSubject: Barrenness   Barrenness EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Barrenness

Eight-thirty P. M. Automatic garage door closed. Back from Thursday night Men’s Group. Don sat in the darkness, tapping the steering wheel. It was the third time today he had thought of his work-mate, Steve Fornsby. (Steve was obviously having some problems. But bottled up.)

Four rings on the cell phone:

“Steve, its Don Parks. It seems that you have been coming to mind throughout the day. I suspect there is something you need to talk about. I’m available.”

“Well Don, it’s kids. You know that Lorraine and I have had difficulty … Look, I can’t do this now. She is in the next room. It’s very sensitive.”

“Buddy, I have been out for the evening. Even now I am sitting in my car. How be you grab a jacket and meet me at Timmy’s on Weber Street in ten minutes?”

“Isn’t it kinda late for this? Oh, alright…”

That which ensued was something which Don had not even been able to achieve yet with the Men’s Group. Real heart-opening. Real engagement. Real vulnerability. It had been easy to do in the come-and-go anonymity of the coffee shop.

Steve Fornsby and Lorraine were childless. Numerous efforts with the OB-GYN had led nowhere. Best indication was that the problem lay with Steve. He had become testy. Sex was becoming a chore and a source of despair. Recently jealousy had raised its ugly head. Lorraine was a Principal’s secretary at Central Secondary. Jeff Brant was a Phys-Ed teacher, recently divorced. There were suspicions…

And so it went for the next forty minutes.

“Steve, I don’t know if you realize it or not. Our second is adopted. Very difficult first pregnancy, and we went this way for a boy. Never regretted it. Like an oasis of happiness. The older sister really rallied with us. Jimmy is truly family. My pastor Keith’ s second is also adopted. Same story.

I believe that there are a couple of guys we should meet who could help us on this. I have grown to trust them. They will keep their mouths shut. If money is an issue with adoption, we could kick in. We have some connections locally and with distant agencies.

Talk this over with Lorraine. I will be praying. I know that Becky would make herself available for your wife. I would suggest you not go to all the life science considerations being touted in the news. Beautiful kids are out there, waiting. One could be yours…”

In the darkness of the parking lot two mature men hugged and wept, shook hands, ‘til next time.

Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6: 2)

He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord. (Psalm 113: 9)
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/
TheBarrd
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
TheBarrd

Charity : St. Judes Children's Hospital
Charity : local abortion alternative center

Barrenness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrenness   Barrenness EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 3:35 pm

Very nice little story.  
I enjoyed it very much.
And I like the way you put your verses at the end...nice touch.
Only...well, the title threw me a bit.
Back to top Go down

Barrenness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Fiction Novels & Short Stories-