Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Life Style or Christ's Smile?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
Doug Blair

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER
POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

Life Style or Christ's Smile? Empty
PostSubject: Life Style or Christ's Smile?   Life Style or Christ's Smile? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Much effort from the pulpit is directed toward putting a Biblical slant on issues of everyday life. Relationships and families. Finances. Child rearing. Dealing with conflict. Dealing with low self-esteem. Forgiving oneself for past stumblings. Dealing with satanic attack. Problematic attitudes. Establishing a balanced work ethic.

The intention is to make the sermon "now" and relevant and helpful to the life priorities of the audience. Giving them what they want. The epistles of the New Testament come in handy. The how-to lists are drafted with their alliterated sub-headings. The whole thing has the tone of a lecture.

BUT IT IS NOT BREAD!

Christ is the Living Bread. He must always have the pre-eminence as the preacher delivers his burden. The Four Gospels must be the staple (and perhaps the Letter to the Hebrews). They portray the most compassionate, patient, helpful, authoritative and hope-inspiring of all lives. They put flesh on the concepts of Elder Brother, Rescuer, Shepherd, Rabbi, Priest and Prophet.

When the trouble comes I cannot lean upon a lecture of ethics. I must have an overcoming relationship with the Captain of our salvation, the Anchor of our hope, the Firstborn from the dead. I will remember the faithful preacher who depicted such a One for me, and provoked me to yet more redeeming meditations and prayer life in private; more helpful activity in public.

Every believer should have for private use a good exposition of the life of Christ drawing from all Gospels and establishing the overview (Farrar, Stalker, Pollock, MacLaren, Campbell Morgan).

The imperative of the Gospel is not "learn this" or "learn that"; rather it is "Come." "Learn of me." "Follow me." The one who gives priority to this imperative will always cause the Master to smile. And that smile felt is worth worlds.
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-