Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Published Author

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caryl
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
APPRENTICE (6-25 posts)
Caryl

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

Published Author Empty
PostSubject: Published Author   Published Author EmptyMon May 26, 2014 10:22 pm

I always tell new writers to get into a good critique group or three :) I definitely would not be published but for the excellent mentoring and weekly critique at the DFW Writers’ Workshop where I faithfully went 15 years! (1993-2008) Not a group that slaps you on the back once a month and says, “I like it. It’s lovely.” New writers need to find one where the members listen with a hard ear and discern any area where the work might be improved then share that.

I know critique and criticism come from the same root, but to me, they have such huge differences in connotation. Critique is a wonderful gift offered from a colleague who wants to help you get published. Some writers can’t take it, but if they could toughen up and consider the advice, their dream just might come true.
            So first, I learned my craft. Six years later, I was asked to write the first non-fiction because the publisher wanted an antique guide book (ANTIQUING IN NORTH TEXAS) and I dibble dabbled in antiques and was a writer! After I figured how quickly that was going out of date, I proposed GREAT FIREHOUSE COOKS OF TEXAS to the  same small press not knowing the editor's daddy was a fireman!
           Next, from cold over the transit submission, came the mystery ABSOLUTE PI from Books in Motion on the Pacific Coast, then THE APPLE ORCHARD BED AND BREAKFAST from The Gale Group's Five Star imprint (Maine). The DFWWW invited editors or agents every quarter, paid their way to Texas, put them up, then got to schmooze and pitch our work to them. One I met was Hazel Rumney (Gale Group) who bought that mature inspirational romance.

Longhorn Creek Press published three mid-grade chapter books - The River Bottom Ranch Stories, THE PRICE PAID, a WWII novel based on true experiences of my husband's father, and the thriller THE THIEF OF DREAMS.
            We moved to the country and didn't write for a while. But eventually founded the Red River Writers Workshop in 2011, then also joined the North East Texas Writers' Organization that puts on an annual conference. At the one in 2012, I met Mary Sue Seymour, my NY agent. Her maiden name? McAdoo! God tapped us on the heads and said, "Pay attention, daughters."
            She told me if I would write a historical Christian romance set in the 1800s, she'd sell it, so I did, and she sure did--to Simon and Schuster's Howard Books! And VOW UNBROKEN, set in 1832 NE Texas debuted in March 2014. Book two HEART STOLEN is scheduled for release in September 2014, and I'm close to through with book three HOPE REBORN. 

And that's how I got published! Studied, mentored, networked to shew myself approved, then let go and let God. Voila! Published!
Blessings to all! 

Back to top Go down

Published Author
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: NEW USERS :: Take a Moment to Introduce Yourself-