Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

Parsha: "Shoftim" (judges) DEUT 16:18 - 21:9

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jacob Ben Avraham
WORDSMITH (251-300 posts)
WORDSMITH (251-300 posts)
Jacob Ben Avraham

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

Parsha: "Shoftim" (judges) DEUT 16:18 - 21:9 Empty
PostSubject: Parsha: "Shoftim" (judges) DEUT 16:18 - 21:9   Parsha: "Shoftim" (judges) DEUT 16:18 - 21:9 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 9:30 pm

"SHOFTIM" (judges)

DEUT: 16:18 - 21:9            Isaiah 51:12 - 52:12                 YOCHANAN 1:19-27

In this Parsha, we see one popular verse, that is Deut 16:20,  "Righteousness, Righteousness thou shall persue"  it Hebrew;  "Tzedek, Tzedek Tirdof" 

Many ask why the word "Righteousness" is mentioned twice? since every word in scripture is there for a purpose, there are a few ideas, explanations as to why,  One is the following and it makes sense;  "One must "persue" righteous goals through righteous means"  if the goal is righteous/godly then to achieve that goal, one must use "righteous" means.

Example;  The leader of a city wants to purify the city and make the city "Holy" but there are problems in the way, many prostitutes, thieves, gangsters, troublemakers, etc.  He goes to his counslors and asks, "what can I do to purify this city and make this city holy?  One counselor says:  "First hire hitmen, and snipers, hide them in good locations and they can kill all the prostitutes, thieves, gangsters, and troublemakers, when the city has been rid of all the human garbage, the city will be holy"
Then the other counselor says; "Do not do so, but go and gather the prostitutes, the thieves, and gangsters, talk to them about the Love of God, about how Yeshua gave his life for them, so that they could have a better life, eternal life, and happiness within, when they hear the words, many will come and repent of their ways, and will surrender their lives to  Messiah Yeshua, and then, the city will be holy,  a holy city is a "righteous" goal, and soul winning is a "righteous means" to get to the righteous goal

Some use the word "justice" as ; "Justice, Justice you shall persue"  from the Talmud comes a story about a vineyard owner and his son, they have many workers who help produce wine from the grapes.  On one occasion, a worker slips and drops and vat containing wine, the vat breaks and the wine is lost.  The son is irritated and says to the worker; "I will take the cost of the wine from your pay".  The worker, knowing that it is costly wine, and since he is poor, it would affect his family, goes to the owner and tells him of the incident.  The owner goes and speaks to his son saying;

"You exact justice from the worker for losing the wine, you are in your right to do this, however, it would be "unjust" for his family, since his family relies of the payment we give him, so, I say to "forgive the worker for spilling the wine" we have much wine and much money, he has little, so, by forgiving the worker for his misdeed, is would be "just" and "right" remember;
"Justice, Justice thou shalt pursue" 

This parsha also speaks of a king making a copy of the Torah, and it remains with him and he should read it and study it, all the days of his life.  Rightly so, since to govern a nation well, the leader should rule by God's Word, when leaders follow the Torah of YHVH the nation will be blessed, only when they turn their back on God's teaching in scripture, does misfortune come to a nation.  Moshe said,  "follow YHVH's commandments, and you shall receive blessings, disobey, and curses will follow, that has not changed

Chap. 18 talks about the provisions for the Levites, their sustenance comes from the people, The Levites serve YHVH and thus should be supported by the people, Same is today,  many pastors, rabbis, ministers of the gospel only have part time jobs, in some countries, some do NOT work in order to study and teach God's Word, they should be supported by God's people, in tithes, offerings, food, etc, those who live to teach the Torah should be maintained by those who receive the teaching of the Torah. 

"A new prophet like Moshe" (18:15)"YHVH will raise up a prophet like me from your midst, Him you shall hear..."  But haven't there been many prophets since the time of Moshe? yes. there have been many, but this portion doesn't say "prophets" it says "A PROPHET" we see that this can only refer to Yeshua, since YHVH put HIS words in HIS mouth, and He spoke only what the Father commanded him to say. 

ISAIAH 51:12 - 52:12

"YHVH says "I have MY words in YOUR mouth, I have covered you with the shadow of my hand"  and "Your are MY people
We can see that this can refer to both the Prophet Isaiah and also to Yeshua.  Yeshayahu spoke and wrote what YHVH told him to speak and write,  Yeshua also, spoke what the Father told Him to say, and all who follow Yeshua, and follow HIS TORAH, are HIS People.  Being part of HIS people goes beyond just being a descendant of Abraham, it is a "heart" matter, it is a "spiritual" matter
If we accept Yeshua as our Messiah and LORD, follow HIS Torah, then, we ARE HIS people, both those born in Israel  as well as those from the nations.

YOCHANAN 1:19-27 

"The voice of one crying in the wilderness, make straight the way of YHVH" This echoes John the Baptist's words, His job was to get people ready, to tell them about Yeshua and to repent of their sins,  Isaiah had a similar mission,  Should not all of us have the same mission? to share the Good News to all people? is it only a "good idea?" or......is it a COMMAND?

Shabbat Shalom v'Shavua Tov l'kol..........rabbi Ben Avraham
Back to top Go down

Parsha: "Shoftim" (judges) DEUT 16:18 - 21:9
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML: " />
Page 1 of 1