Christian Creative Writers

A FREE CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  PublicationsPublications  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  SpotlightSpotlight  JesusJesus  
NO REGISTRATION**FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**POST YOUR POETRY OR STORIES AS A GUEST**NO REGISTRATION**WRITERS RESOURCES**NO REGISTRATION**CHRISTIAN DISCUSSION**NO REGISTRATION**GREAT WRITING TIPS**

"Sanctification" vs "Conformation"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

CCW GOLD MEMBER CCW GOLD MEMBER

"Sanctification" vs "Conformation" Empty
PostSubject: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 am

Considering the significance in the meaning of the above terms, I believe it would good to note the difference between them.  Sanctification is a single work and is synonymous with holiness, which is to identify someone or something that belongs to God, which He has set apart for His pleasure. Conformation is an ongoing work of the forming of someone or something.

The potential misunderstanding when confusing the two is in how they are related to salvation. The occurrence of receiving salvation is a single act which does not admit in degrees, i.e. no believer is more or less saved than any other believer, and it has no variations in quality or quantity. One is either regenerated or not, which answers to why “sanctified” is always in the past tense in Scripture. Believers “are sanctified” because God has sanctified them at rebirth.

Conformation (not to confuse with confirmation) is the progressive work of God concerning the walk and faith of the believer, which are primarily purposed to manifest Himself through the believer. The most significant error that can be made if confusing these two terms is when conceiving that salvation (redemption) is an incomplete work within the believer, as though there are other factors besides the Cross-work of Christ to effect salvation.

All who are saved are sanctified, and this will inevitably be revealed in their manner of life as God continues to “conform” them, which “are change into the same image from glory to glory” (2Cor 3:18), “to the image of His Son (Rom 8:29).
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

CCW SUPPORTER CCW SUPPORTER
2x POETRY CONTEST WINNER 2X POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 6:42 am

Makes one beg to ponder, which category am I?
And should I know?
Can I trust in what i know?
What is the source,
When multiple causes and effects assail in this confusing mess?
We like to think as Christians but the Truth is not found in our thinking at all is it?
This post makes me think...
Over-thinking can be a very bad self defeating endeavor,
So difficult to trust...but trust we must...to grow and accept change.
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 am

oneagleswings wrote:
Makes one beg to ponder, which category am I?
And should I know?
Can I trust in what i know?
What is the source,
When multiple causes and effects assail in this confusing mess?
We like to think as Christians but the Truth is not found in our thinking at all is it?
This post makes me think...
Over-thinking can be a very bad self defeating endeavor,
So difficult to trust...but trust we must...to grow and accept change.
Hi OEW - Believers are sanctified during receiving salvation, which shows in Him conforming them (Phil 2:13), also to which the Spirit maintains assurance (Rom 8:16).

Our walk does not affect our salvation but reflects it!  Similar to that believers live in the Spirit, and by God's conforming we progressively learn to "walk in the Spirit" (Gal 5:25).
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 7:24 am

I think what I was trying to say was: we cannot observe our own walk, only by the evidence gleaned that comes from honest self examination in the Spirit can we gauge and still fall way short by our own estimations. 
FOR EXAMPLE The Following real life experience:

One day i dropped off my car at a shop on Main St. center of town, to be repaired...

As i sat in the waiting room

i realized that i was just across the parking lot from my favorite B.B.Q. joint

It was only 10:45 a.m. but to my surprise they were open and i was to be their first customer of the day

Well it is buffet style dining

so i fixed a plate with some meat

And another plate with cold salads

i placed one plate in front of me

And the other to the side of me

i took off my jacket and hung it on the chair next to me

i removed my hat and bowed my head to ask the Blessing

While quietly giving thanks…

i heard another person enter and by her voice i could tell it was a young lady

She ordered a pint of potato salad to go from the front counter

i didn’t give it much thought at the time

Praying before a meal had just become a habit somewhere along the path of a new walk

After finishing my meal and picking up the car i headed home

Picked up my beloved Jody and went out to pick up a few groceries from the local Piggly Wiggly supermarket

As we were checking out, the cashier (a young lady smiling radiantly) said:

“i thought that it was so cool”

i said: “ what was so cool?”

“I stopped by Music Man B.B.Q. to pick up some potato salad before work for lunch later

I saw how you bowed your head to give thanks and praise

it was so beautiful you looked almost...angelic

by the way where was your better half, i saw another place setting next to you

i looked for her and didn’t see her, was she in the bathroom?”

i said to the young lady…

Jody was not with me at lunch today

However as you’ve keenly observed…

i never dine alone

Perhaps you caught a glimpse of more than either of us can ever know eh?

Nothing to do, with anything that we are able to do ourselves

She just smiled bowed her head slightly, modestly as if shying away from a light being shone to her

and i was privileged to be allowed to witness her youthful refreshing radiance of child-like wonder and discovery

the reflections through windows without mirrors telling the story...

She...aglow almost seemingly..."Angelic"

All Glory be to God!

(it was so refreshing to have been observed and noticed for something very contrary to the shameful things taken notice of in my former life, under a self-delusion that it could be hidden from God. i was not intentionally attempting to draw attention to myself, just expressing gratitude especially after having experienced, poverty, hunger and having been homeless for a time. Learning just how far from being alone or hungry all the while and not even realizing it till much, much later)

(All the while during I was totally oblivious to what the young lady had observed in me, sometimes it takes someone else to tell us and even then that knowledge comes with a greater onus of responsibilty )

Make any sense, N.C.?
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 7:42 am

oneagleswings wrote:

Make any sense, N.C.?
Yes, and thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptySun Nov 15, 2015 8:18 am

Hebrews 10:10, 14 - "In the which will we are having been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once; For by one offering he hath perfected to the end those sanctified” (YLT).

John Gill –

"In him it is as the cause, in them as the effect; in Him as its fountain, in them as the stream; in Him it is complete, in them it is imperfect for the present: and they have it by virtue of union to Him . . . ; wisdom may stand in general for the wise scheme of justification, as it is laid in Christ; "sanctification" may intend the holiness of his nature; "righteousness" the obedience of his life; and "redemption" his sufferings and death, by which it is obtained.

“But then justification and sanctification are not to be confounded; they are two distinct things, and have their proper uses and effects; sanctification in the saints does not justify, or justification sanctify; the one respects the power and being of sin, the other the guilt of it. Moreover, Christ is the sanctification of his people "meritoriously"; through the shedding of his blood, whereby he has sanctified them, that is, expiated their sins, and made full atonement for them.”

http://www.christianity.com/bible/comments/1corinthians/gill/1corinthians1.htm
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm

To what avail is it to clean the outside of a cup
for appearances sake
while the inside prevails in filth?

"You need only wash your feet"
"Sanctification"
Defined fully
short and sweet

"Shake the dust from off of your sandals as a sign"
A sign in obedience directed to Whom?

"Conformation"
Poor decisions can sometimes result in an involuntarily chosen by default unnecessarily difficult learning experience
Kinda' like goin' round the mountain forty years as opposed to an eleven day journey?
Our Saviour doesn't give up on us...no way...no how!
He is patient
I am living proof among many others
perhaps not all are writers
but integral to the body nonetheless
and I counted myself amongst the company of those most reluctant of writers.

N.C.,
I had no premeditated intentions of responding here again but I received a prompting while meditating upon something completely different and unrelated.
I mean no disrespect nor subterfuge or insincerity...I like you kiddo'.
I just had to do this chips fall where they may.
Frankly...I don't even know what point if any is being profiled in this, I learned long ago when not to ask questions but wait for an answer. 

Glory be to God in Jesus' name.
G.I.G.AT.T.!

Sometimes I can be construed as outrageous, irreverent, ignorant or worse, the times that I sound thusly is none of my doing. My friend Doug Blair has taken the interest and time and has been gifted the patience to learn to discern the "difference". But he is a rare find indeed and again none of either of ours' doing.
And I thank God for the best possible spins that often manifest complimenting each others' unfinished, incomplete thoughts. Together at times we write as "one". It is rare it happens more often now than not.
It is no "thing" that I am able to explain and no longer attempt to. I can't speak for Doug but i am bewildered and dumb-founded by it while at the same time knowing the source is undeniable, irrefutable, flips the ole' circuit breaker at times.   
Peace.
I am more grateful than can be expressed by any "human" measure to be understood by an audience of One and Doug and his wife Hilary and my Jody are an abundance beyond anything I could have ever hoped or dreamed for! 
"Where two or more are gathered in My Name..."
P.S., Doug and I did not hit it off at first, quite the contrary!
But Jesus i humbly submit, has revealed a best friend that to this very day i have yet to meet in person by Divine Blessed intervention.
I am ever vigilant for others to make as deep a connection with, as the saying goes: "a stranger is simply a friend we have yet to meet"

I hope this re-inforces in some small measure your post entitled"
"Sanctification vs. Conformation" I simply do not see the duel in the planned purposeful duality?
"Sanctification" vs "Conformation" Duelin10
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks for sharing your openness and sensitivity OEW, which are attributes that cannot be excessive.

For me also to attempt another reply with this subject, I wanted to add that I find that sanctification is a condition that Christ is in, just as holiness, righteousness, justification, etc., which changes not, for one cannot be more or less sanctified or holy than another.

Conformation determines our walk (ever changing), and our walk manifests (not produces) that we are sanctified, holy, etc. . One is either sanctified or not; holy or not. It's our walk that changes, not our sanctification, because as Christ is sanctified, holy, etc.--"so are we" (1John 4:17).

A good analogy is that the branch "bears fruit" (John 15:8), not produces it, which is a truth from which I believe we can be easily distracted.
Back to top Go down
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 am

Ah..you used an "analogy", now we have truly begun communicating...you're adapting to utilize all the tools at your disposal now. A language I can better understand...thank you. I understood that clearly but the road to the gist/heart was a long, drawn out winding one...why may I ask?
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 7:56 am

oneagleswings wrote:
Ah..you used an "analogy", now we have truly begun communicating...you're adapting to utilize all the tools at your disposal now. A language I can better understand...thank you. I understood that clearly but the road to the gist/heart was a long, drawn out winding one...why may I ask?
Didn't think of it until now. But I believe it still requires explanation, as even some analogies do also. Explanations help clarify! 

God Bless!
Back to top Go down
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
Doug Blair

POETRY CONTEST WINNER POETRY CONTEST WINNER

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:54 pm

Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. How do we receive this assurance. Law focuses on the keeping. Grace focuses on the loving.
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 am

Doug Blair wrote:
Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. How do we receive this assurance. Law focuses on the keeping. Grace focuses on the loving.
Through contrast many things are confirmed.  We know what is right by law, but law only convicts, never delivers.  For example, man could know what is right: "Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat"; and what is wrong: "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it."  Thus we know what is right by what is wrong and vice-versa (contrast).

I believe God's intention was for man to "become as one of Us, to know good and evil," which was realized through the contrast of right and wrong.  The Grace lies within the allowance and forgiveness (to believers) of evil, in order to learn of His holiness, thus knowing His fellowship, which is the ultimate purpose in glorifying Him.

What do you think my Brother?
Back to top Go down
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
Doug Blair

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 2:34 am

I found the word conformed twice in the KJV (Romans 8 and Romans 12). Where are we headed? Toward the image of Christ or toward the world. For a solid example of conformation look at Peter in Mark's Gospel and then in the First Epistle of Peter. Unbelievable new birth and development in meekness, longsuffering and submission (just as with Christ).

If I am experiencing vital connection with Jesus, then as I pray for you, testify to you and rub shoulders with you, you are being conformed to the image of Christ within the Body of the elect. Immersion and community. The growth of that Body is a progressive thing just as the apple is perfect in every one of its phases unto ultimate harvest.
Back to top Go down
http://justhappeneduponthis.wordpress.com/ http://momentsmidstream.blogspot.com/
oneagleswings
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
oneagleswings

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 am

Lots of pearls here!

No grit...
no agitation/irritation...
no pearls.
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptyFri Nov 20, 2015 5:37 am

Doug Blair wrote:
I found the word conformed twice in the KJV (Romans 8 and Romans 12). Where are we headed? Toward the image of Christ or toward the world. For a solid example of conformation look at Peter in Mark's Gospel and then in the First Epistle of Peter. Unbelievable new birth and development in meekness, longsuffering and submission (just as with Christ).

If I am experiencing vital connection with Jesus, then as I pray for you, testify to you and rub shoulders with you, you are being conformed to the image of Christ within the Body of the elect. Immersion and community. The growth of that Body is a progressive thing just as the apple is perfect in every one of its phases unto ultimate harvest.
Hi DB - Thanks for your input! Myself, I believe the primary conformation is that within the new nature because it is after the image of Christ (Col 3:10), which is complete and final when imparted at rebirth, and now it's our walk that progresses in manifesting the new nature.  

Just in sharing, I believe many have yet to realize that our lifestyle (walk) does not affect this conformation, but the conformation affects our lifestyle. The conforming is not sourced from the believer but from the Spirit of God, e.g. we are not doing the conforming but are to "be conformed" (Rom 8:29), which is complete concerning us in our spirit.

This should be the same process concerning the entirety of our walk because I believe by what power we do things is superior to what we do.  Are we being strong in the Lord or ourselves?  

I've learned this especially applies to enduring hardness, in which when we "cast all our care (the enjoyable and the difficult) on Him" (1Pe 5:7), then are we being strong in Him and not self.

God's blessings to your Family, and God be blessed!
Back to top Go down
Doug Blair
ADMIN II
ADMIN II
Doug Blair

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 4:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE

Simply regard the King and become more and more infatuated.
Back to top Go down
NetChaplain
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
SCRIBE (101-150posts)
NetChaplain

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" EmptySun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 am

Doug Blair wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE

Simply regard the King and become more and more infatuated.
Appreciate the video, very Christ-centric!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Sanctification" vs "Conformation"   "Sanctification" vs "Conformation" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Sanctification" vs "Conformation"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Share this topic...
Link this topic
URL:
BBCode:
HTML: " />
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Creative Writers :: CHRISTIAN WRITERS' FORUM :: Bible Studies & Sermons-